League – Home To M&DH Clapham Sports

A cold wintery day for the return visit of M&DH Clapham Sports, the first game was pretty ill tempered settled by a late winner against the run of play for today’s visitors.

Hurricanes got the game underway, looking comfortable in possession and stroking the ball around, an early opportunity fell to Louie but he flashed his shot wide of the post. Clapham’s real threat came either from long kick’s from the keeper, which bypassed both midfield’s or with pace from a long ball counter attack. A corner for the home team was scrambled clear, a long ball had the home defence back peddling, matched three v three, a through ball to a Clapham forward presented a shooting opportunity, but the shot was ballooned wide, it was a warning of the danger the opposition possessed. Still it was the home team who dominated the ball playing some good football, with the visitors doing all the chasing. A promising attack down the right for the home side, attempted cross was blocked and the ball broke to a Clapham midfielder who hoofed it up field, centre back was drawn out the right and the Clapham striker skipped past him, bearing in on goal, he took a heavy touch which should have drawn Hayden off is line, instead he stayed rooted to the spot and the striker tucked it in at the near post 0-1.

The goal was against the run of play, but lessons weren’t learn’t from the previous counter attack where the home side didn’t have enough security in terms of defensive numbers. The home side shrugged it off and just carried on moving the ball around well, again Louie played through, fired his shot high and wide, a couple of minutes later the he shot over the bar from a good position and beat the floor in frustration. The home team were knocking on the door, a cross from Benji was cleared out to Alex, he swept his cross in first time, Louie flicked a header over the away defence for Joseph to ghost in a the back post, he was calmness personified, as he finished low across the goal 1-1. Emmanuel, a powerhouse in centre midfield, ably abetted by Jake, opened up a shooting opportunity with great piece of skill, but his shot was well saved. Donny for the first time drove at his full back and left him for dead, he took a heavy touch and stretching his shot went in the side netting. It was all the home side, but they couldn’t find the back of the net.

HT 1-1

Very positive half time team talk, we just needed to drop 10 yards from kicks from the ‘keeper, and ensure we had enough security when attacking, we can’t over commit and get caught on the counter.

Hurricanes set the tone from the kick off, winning the ball back, switching out to Donny who raced away from his marker, his low cross somehow evading everyone. Jake bustling in midfield, wriggled through but just had it nicked off him as he prepared to shoot, the ball broke to Emmanuel, who shifted it right to Donny, who played it first touch to Louie, who drifted past one defender and was unlucky to see his shot blocked. Clapham were struggling to get out of their half, the pressure was building, Jake bundled through a couple of challenges in midfield, centre to goal approaching the box, he unleashed a curling shot which left the ‘keeper rooted to spot 2-1, what a way to open his WWFC account. Hurricanes were in complete dominance, flying forward, moving the ball around well, a cross from the right just evading Louie at the back post. Benji swung a corner in from the left, it was half flicked on and bounced on the edge of the box, Donny made the right choice recognising it was falling to Alex, who on the half volley, showed sublime technique, smashing it in off the left hand post with outside of his foot, 3-1.

The home side looked hungry for goals and quickly added a fourth, Donny feeding Louie who drove to the byline and pulled it back to Joseph for a simple tap in, 4-1. At this point the Hurricanes looked like they would run away with it, controlling possession and almost carving open the Clapham defence at will. They just couldn’t find the killer pass, Oscar whipped a couple of great balls in to box, which should have produced more. Clapham pulled one back again bursting forward with pace, they found a way in behind the home defence and finished well 4-2. It didn’t really change the pattern or outcome of the game, it was the home team who carried all the goal threat, and possibly given their second half dominance should have won by a couple more.

FT 4-2

Scorers: Joseph (2), Jake, Alex

P.O.T.M: Emmanuel – commanding central midfield performance.

League – Away To Flitwick Eagles

A trip to Flitwick Eagles, who it has to be said have proved a bit of bogey team for the Hurricanes for the past two seasons.

Kicking off 15 minutes earlier than scheduled, due to pressure on pitches, Hurricanes set the early pace, dominating possession and creating chances, Louie, Joseph both going close on a few occasions, blocks on the line and brave goal keeping stopping the Hurricanes being three or four up in the opening ten minutes. Joseph should have been awarded a penalty, his quick feet bamboozling the Flitwick defence, with the response being to wipe his feet out, the stand in Referee waving play on. Flitwick we know have one way of playing, a long ball through the centre of the pitch to one of their pacy strikers. This tactic is somewhat of an Achilies heel for the away team, they seem to always struggle against it, and again they didn’t look too comfortable, but just about got away with it in the early stages. Finally the ‘official’ Referee turned up, his first decision should have been to award Joseph a penalty after being poll axed from behind in the box, however he again followed the earlier pattern, and waved play on. In truth the away side could well have been 3 or 4 goals to the good, however this is Flitwick and they do what the always do, a long ball over the top went over the centre backs head’s, on to it raced the Flitwick striker and he calmly slotted past Hayden 1-0.

It was a kick in teeth for the Hurricanes, they responded in the right way, attacking the opposition box, Jordan bursting through had his shot cleared off the line, cleared with an outstretched hand which didn’t belong to the ‘Keeper, again missed by the Referee. Louie blasted over with an attempted half volley, Joseph & Benji both pulled a shot just wide. With all the pressure at one end of the pitch, again Flitwick delivered the next blow, again a long ball, flight misjudged, resulted in a defensive flicked backwards header, with no other defenders again offering any cover, the Striker was in behind unchallenged and under no pressure, he smashed past the helpless Hayden 2-0. It soon got a lot worse, playing out from the back a mis-placed pass, straight to a Fliwick player, edge of the box, he took a touch and launched a powerful shot, Hayden diving away to his left got hand to it, but the ball bounced to the floor and the spin took it over the line 3-0. Frustrations set in place, with the attacking players for the away side, now trying to do much on the ball making it easy for the Fliwick defence to get compact, and deny any opportunities for the Hurricanes to pull a goal back before half time.

HT 3-0

A full and frank assessment of the first half was delivered to the Hurricanes, in both boxes the performance, commitment and decision making was nowhere near the levels we set ourselves, sent out for the second half with a demand to put that right.

Again it was the Hurricanes who set the early pressure, Jake sending an early strike which the ‘keeper gathered comfortably. Donny a powerhouse down the right had the beating of his man every time, he delivered a couple of good crosses which just evaded the oncoming attackers. Flitwick couldn’t get out of their half, the energy expended in the first half starting to show in the legs. However Hayden was called in to action again a long ball, and then a second ball picked up, but Hayden was more than equal to the task with a good blocking save. Hurricanes pushed forward and pushed forward, every time they created an opportunity the ball just seemed to hit the Flitwick ‘Keeper, however he pulled off a fine save diving to his left to keep out an effort from Louie after a fine run and cross from Donny. Twenty minutes left and finally the breakthrough came, Jake driving through midfield slid it in to Louie, who poked it past the advancing ‘Keeper and went around him and tapped home 3-1. The goal sparked an instant belief that the away side could get something out of this game. Flitwick after spending 90% of the game chasing the ball around, looked dead on their feet. Hurricanes piled forward almost at will, and for ten minutes or so they tried in vain to add a second, then they finally got their reward, Emmanuel launched a ball in the box Louie jumped and challenged the combination of  two defender’s and ‘Keeper, the ball bounced the floor the attempted clearance was smashed in to the ‘keeper who was flailing around on the floor, the rebound fell to Louie. back to goal, he showed great composure to calmly back heel the ball in to the unguarded net 3-2. Just seven minutes remained, they couldn’t pull off the impossible could they?….

Flitwick were on the ropes and the Hurricanes looked in no mood to let them off the hook. Jordan after a rest on the subs bench was buzzing around with tonnes of energy, both he and Benji were causing havoc down the left flank, Benji on the end of a brutal challenge after he dance passed the last defender, Referee just thinking a ticking off would do instead of a caution. Louie had a good opportunity to pull the scores back to level, but fired in to the side netting from a tight’ish angle. Just three minutes now left on the clock, Benji and Jordan combined, with the latter bursting in the box, 12 yards out, left hand side, he hit the ball low and hard past the advancing ‘Keeper, with Louie bearing down on goal, a covering defender tried to stop it going in, but could only divert in to the net with an outstretched leg 3-3. Flitwick did the sensible thing at this stage, and hoofed the ball up as far up the pitch as possible, just seconds remained. Hurricanes picked it up in the left central defensive position, Oscar played the ball to Benji, who traveled up the pitch, ghosted past a tiring midfielder, Jordan made forward run in the inside channel, picked the ball up, and cleverly saw Louie’s run inside the box, Louie took one touch out his feet and his second touch fired across the goal in to the bottom right hand corner, and then set off to the corner flag where his team mates joined him in an ecstatic celebration 3-4. There was just enough time left for Flitwick to kick off before the Referee blew his final whistle.

FT 3-4

Scorers: Louie (3), Jordan.

P.O.T.M: Louie – as guilty as most in the first half, but like the entire squad, showed effort, determination in the second half, his three composed finishes earning him this weeks award.

League – Away To Houghton Athletic

A dull wintry day, suitable for a trip to Houghton, we always seem to encounter bad weather on our previous visits.

With 2/3rd’s of our regular attack missing for today’s game, we were looking for other players to step up. It was a very even start, both sides a bit sloppy in possession, Houghton pumping long balls forward, Whirlwinds defence comfortably handling the attacks, but guilty of giving the ball away in dangerous area’s. Whirlwinds gradually started to ease themselves in to the ascendancy, Ellis showing good feet in midfield unlucky not to set the dangerous looking Oliver in behind. Sam picked the ball up in the left hand side of the penalty box, checked back inside and was upended with a clumsy challenge, the Referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Oliver stepped up take it, calmly slotting it in the bottom left hand corner 0-1. It really should have been a springboard to get more goals, Oliver desperately unlucky, just missed a stooping header from a fine cross by Sam.

Whirlwinds have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot, and sure enough they allowed Houghton back in to the game, a ball was picked up in attack, lumped forward a Houghton attacker picked it up and drove at the Whirlwinds defence, he turned the defender inside out and no cover came in, as result he had the opportunity pick his spot, his shot came off the post, a reprieve, but again slow reactions by the Whirlwinds back line and the Houghton striker had a simple tap in 1-1. From being in control and looking to pull away, they were now level, and were fortunate not to go behind, again caught flat with a long ball the Houghton striker blazed high over the bar. It was a let off and was quickly punished, Billy played a perfectly weighted ball through for Oliver to race on to, he slammed his shot past the ‘Keeper in to roof of the net 1-2. Ellis showed great skill in midfield, went past one then two, the defence backed off, he took the opportunity to shoot, but slightly off balance he skewed it wide of the target.

HT 1-2

Reasonably positive team talk, just tightened up a couple of things defensively, and try to more of a goal threat as Houghton were looking fragile in defence.

The tone of the second half was set for the start, Houghton pumping long after long ball at away defence, easy enough to repel, but the Whirlwinds midfield couldn’t pick up the second ball and relieve some pressure by keeping possession or getting up the pitch. Several corners fired in, Houghton lacking the quality really to create a clear cut opening, the best chance fell to Oliver who driving forward on the counter just put his shot wide of the post. It was a brief relief from the bombardment of long balls, constantly pumped at the Whirlwinds back line. Again on the counter Whilwinds had the chance to put the game to bed, Oliver driving forward delivering a cross to the back post, Ellis’s shot was blocked and Jack M poked the rebound wide. Finally the Whirlwinds defence gave up a chance, a cross finding it’s way across the box to the back post, but the Houghton attacker couldn’t control his shot and it trickled past the back post.

With a few minutes remaining, Whirlwinds showed some real naivety, instead of taking the opportunities to clear up the pitch, they tried to play too intricate, with tired legs their touch was off and the home side took every opportunity to lump it forward. Thomas received a ball in the face from his own player, having to removed from the pitch with his nose bleeding heavily. It was backs to wall and dig in for the result, and the Whirlwinds did just that, holding firm until the final whistle.

FT 1-2

Scorer: Oliver 2(1P)

P.O.T.M: Oliver, took his goals well and our most dangerous attacking threat.

WWFC Lionesses U12s v Kempston U12s

It was a bit of a grey morning at Ridgmont today and it wasn’t long before a slight drizzle added to the deceptively chilly breeze but the girls soon warmed up as we met Kempston for the second time this season, this time for a cup game.

From the whistle, the game was on with both teams looking pretty evenly matched. Kempston were pushing hard for goal which initially our defensive line-up coped with well. Tayla took strong control of the middle while Ruby K in particular stepped up to the plate and continued to raise her game, running down any challenges, putting in some strong kicks and good passes. Ruby combined notably well with Mollie to see off any threats down the left wing. Mollie made one long run up the left, passing three Kempston players, but unfortunately there was no-one to hook up with at the end.

My dodgy stats indicated that at this point we had the greater possession but unfortunately we were unable to capitalise on this, with only one shot on goal in the first half, from Charlotte.

Nil all at half time.

Kempston always looked a threat and they secured the first goal of the game in the second half with a wide angled shot to the bottom corner, just beyond Maggie’s reach. Maggie was under pressure and again the stats show that far too many balls were getting through to her. She coped well, making nine saves in all.

Charlotte added a bit of energy to midfield which until that point had been lacking and she got one terrific shot off on goal, just denied by the post.

Kitty, battling with having been ill all week, still managed to put in a wonderful corner which the keeper just managed to get to but spilled into her own net. This got WWFC onto the score sheet and brought the score to one all.

Every time the ball was played into midfield, Kempston quickly picked it up and made an attack, demonstrating some good strong passing and confident strikes at goal. It seemed a little in the second half as though the Lionesses’ midfield had joined Izzy on her day out. We need you all present again for next week please !

It wasn’t long before Kempston sealed the match with another goal which the Lionesses sadly turned into their own net. In the closing stages, Woburn seemed to take it up a gear but it was all too late.

There were two contenders for Girl of the Match this week: Ruby K who continues to shine and Maggie. The award goes to Maggie this week as she handled the pressure admirably and kept the score line sufficiently low to have kept us in the game.

It may not have been the team’s best performance but none should feel as bad as the secretary who realised a couple of hours after we got home that the penalty spots she had marked out was about 10 feet too close to the goals. Thus she was whole-heartedly relieved that the game had not gone to penalties ! (I should point out that said secretary is also in charge of the household finances !)

‘Man’ of the Match goes to Mike for going above and beyond with disposal of something the foxes left behind the night before.

(We were requested not to take any photos today).

WWFC Kempston
1st half 2nd half 1st half 2nd half
70 30 Possession 30 70
5 2 Shots off target 0 7
1 0 Shots on target 0 4
4 2 Corners 0 2
Running totals Goals Assists  Saves
Kitty 14 3
Jas 4 3
Olivia 4 7
Izzy 2 6
Scoobs 1 2
Charlotte 3 2
Ruby K
Maggie  13
Tayla 1

Dunstable 021217

10am arrival for a 10.30am kick off.

Creasey Park Dunstable LU6 1BB

Friendly 251117

Training 9.30-11am at the PowerLeague on the big pitch at the back.