Woburn & Wavendon Football Club Cup – Away To Sundon Athletic

Cup – Away To Sundon Athletic

Sundon Athletic 2 0 WWFC - Whirlwinds
4th March

After a whole week of heavy rain, the pitch at Luton had held up well. It was slightly on the narrow side, not really suited to the away side, who like to play with some width.

Sundon started the game in the ascendance, however the away side, were well organised, compact in midfield and defence, much to the annoyance of the home team, who despite having lots of possession couldn’t work a clear cut opening. They were restricted to long range shots, long throws and the odd corner. None of which caused too much trouble for the Whirlwinds, who seemed happy enough to soak up the pressure and play on the counter attack.

Sundon are an athletic physical side, gradually a few of the away side started to try and match them, Brandon and Billy starting to play like terriers in midfield, getting in and around there opponents and making life a little more uneasy for them. The away side had a good shout for a penalty denied, Sam being shoved to the floor, the defender making no attempt to play the ball, to be fair it could have gone either way, depending on how you looked at it. It was a very tight first half, with the Whirlwinds were much in the game.

HT 0-0

Second half started in the same pattern as the first, however a defensive lapse with three players not pushing out allowed an attacker time and space in the box, to slot his shot past Nathan 1-0. It was a body blow, and all that hard work of the first half had been undone by a lapse in concentration.

Whirlwinds needed to push forward more, and so they did, Sam and Jack D combining well, for the latter just fail to get past the recovery tackle. A switch to 3-5-2 to try and get more bodies in forward positions, seemed to have the desired effect as the Whirlwinds started to gain a bit more territory and offer more of a threat. A long ball over the top from Sundon, caught the away defence slightly high, it skimmed a defenders head, ‘GK hesitated to come out, racing through the attacker got to the ball first, Thomas made a superb last ditch challenge, unfortunately for him the ball popped out of the tackle kindly, for the attacker to knock it past Nathan 2-0. Nathan was then called in to action again, making a blocking save, the away team chasing the game had thrown too many bodies forward. Five minutes to go Ibu took a heavy knock to the head and immediately went down, fortunately the Referee stopped the game immediately. After several minutes of attention, he had recovered enough to be helped from the pitch and off to A&E with a suspected concussion.

FT 2-0

Summary: After what seems like months of lack lustre displays, it was much improved today, there was a good team spirit, and a willingness to work hard for the team. We probably lacked a little bit of inventiveness going forward, and if were honest never really threatened to score. However it was an attritional type of game and neither side really created much,  the lack of space on the pitch not helping free flowing football.

Thankfully Ibu was discharged from hospital after a few hours of monitoring, and is on the mend.

M.O.T.M: There was some good displays today, Thomas was asked to lead the defence and he did a really good job. Brandon was busy and neat with the ball in midfield, this weeks award goes to Billy, who stood up to the physical test in the centre of midfield and gave the team an example to follow.

Related Post