Cup – Home To Flitwick Eagles

WWFC - Hurricanes 3 2 Flitwick Eagles
9th April

Quarter final of the cup, saw the Hurricanes go to Flitwick as Bow Brickhill was double booked. The hottest day of the year so far with temperatures of 70+ degrees, it was going to be a difficult afternoon for both sides.

The game got underway and it was immediate to see that the Hurricanes weren’t their normal selves, pass after pass went astray, on a small pitch, and with Flitwick pressing all over the pitch, making things even more frustrating for the Hurricanes. Louie fired a shot just wide, at the other end the Hurricanes defence was struggling to judge the bounce of the ball on a bone dry hard pitch, on a couple of occasions offering the Flitwick strike force a sight of goal before making last ditch clearances. 15 minutes gone, the deadlock was broken, Jack E made a firm defensive clearance just outside his own penalty area, the ball went over the head of the Flitwick defence, Louie chased after the turning defender, and on the ball’s second bounce nipped in front and cutely chipped over the advancing keeper 0-1. Luca then pushed an effort just wide. Benji shot just over, Louie then forced an outstanding triple save from the Flitwick keeper, who was having the game of his season. At the other end Jack E after being caught out by the bounce of a long ball, just managed to get a toe to the ball as the Flitwick striker lined up to shoot.

Hurricanes finally added some breathing space, Luca sliding in Louie for him to shoot low past the ‘keeper 0-2. They dominated the latter stages of the half, but promising positions were wasted, with passes going astray at crucial moments, the Flitwick keeper continued to frustrate pulling off another couple of fine saves.

HT 2-0

Half time and a chance to get some well needed fluids on board, the team cut a frustrating bunch, they knew they hadn’t played well, surely they couldn’t be as bad in the second half could they?

In to the second half and it was much of the same, loose passes in key areas, failure to read the bounce of long balls, Flitwick working hard to close any space down. They then found a lifeline, a long range looping shot looked comfortable catching practice for Hayden, but he seemed to miss judge his position, and the ball sailed over his head and in 1-2. At the other end a neat move found Benji free on the edge of his box, his shot was a little tame and straight at the ‘keeper. A move down the right with Jack F playing a clever ball to Louie who moved the ball inside to the oncoming Luca, with the goal gaping his shot went inches wide. It felt like a goal was coming, it was Benji who provided the finishing touch, Louie doing some great work on the edge of the box to find Benji just inside the box, this time he gave the ‘keeper no chance, and shot in to the top left hand corner 1-3. Louie then had a great chance to put the game out of sight, put through one on one with the ‘keeper, his shot was well saved by the keepers outstretched leg. Benji then went on an almost full length of the field run, only to be scythed down, Louie took the resulting free kick and just shot wide. Benji was enjoying his spell of the game, set free down the left, he cut inside the box and fired in a curling shot which came back off the under side of the bar, bouncing down on the line.

The game should have been out of sight, however some calamitous defending by the Hurricanes, with bodies falling over legs, and the ball broke to a Flitwick player to poke past Hayden 2-3. Still 15 minutes remained on the clock, and Flitwick sniffed an opportunity to at least take the game to penalties. They had a good chance with the ball breaking to a player, centre of goal 15 yards out, but he blasted high and wide. At the other end Louie broke free, hit a powerful shot at the ‘keeper who pulled of another good save, the ball rebounded to Louie, who couldn’t adjust properly, but did manage to a get a knee on the ball, again it hit the underside of the bar and bounced down on the line and was cleared. Ethan then flashed a header wide, at the opposite end, Flitwick had two long range shots that sailed over the bar. It was a nervy last few minutes, with the Hurricanes creating one or two half chances, before the Referee brought the game to a close.

FT 2-3

Scorers: Louie (2), Benji

Summary: Bit of a frustrating performance, some neat play at times was let down with wayward passes in the final third. The heat made it difficult, but we let our standards slip a little. Still it’s important to try and win games when your not playing well, and we move on the the semi final for what will be a much sterner test.

M.O.T.M: Plenty of players did good things at times within the game, Benji had a really good spell in the second half, Louie took both his goals really well, Jack E had his best game for a while, Jack F was neat and tidy in possession. This weeks award goes to Aaron who literally worked his socks off in defence, and then found the energy as well to get forward when he could.

Related Post