League – Away To Wootton Rangers F.C

Wootton Rangers F.C 4 0 WWFC Lions - Hurricanes
9th October
Church Road, Wootton, Bedford, MK43 9EU

A trip to Biddenham, bathed in Autumn sunshine and a perfect pitch, all in all a great day for football.

Wootton started the brighter of the two sides, seemed to be first to all the loose balls, dominating in the middle of the pitch, with the away side looking a little disjointed and out of sorts. Wootton at times played some neat football but were finding it hard to break down the away rearguard. Finally the away side got some joy with Joe and Benji combining well to release Louie but the ‘keeper quick off his line smothered his shot. The away side were enjoying the better of the game. Again Louie looked clear on goal, but some smart keeping foiled his progress. Wootton were looking a danger on the counter attack, and were picking up too many of the loose balls for the away side to get control of the game. A throw in for the away side in the right back position should have been comfortable enough, however the ball was given away, Wootton played some quick one touch passing, found space on the right hand side of the box and a great strike straight in to the top corner 1-0.

The away side responded well, some fine play between Joe & Andrew found Benji free inside the box, he skied his shot over the bar. The next action saw a through ball by Benji put Louie clear of the defence he touched the ball round to goalkeeper, a heavy touch that took him wide of the goal, his cross shot rolling past the right post. It was all the away side now, Joe spooned a header over the bar with the goal gaping after a cross from Ethan, who then played Louie through with a great one touch give and go, for the striker to shoot over the bar. Wootton were playing largely on the counter attack and probably should have extended their lead, Keiron seemed to have the attacker under control, but he wriggled free and pulled a cross across the six yard box which evaded everybody. A pass from Louie found Ethan free in the box, he hesitated and then took a touch, which allowed the defender to close him down and the opportunity was gone. With half time approaching Louie tested the keeper with a stinging shot which was well saved.

HT 1-0

It was frank half time discussion, we had spoken before the game about being wasteful in front of goal, and today we needed to be more clinical. We had 5 or 6 good chances and on the balance of play should be comfortably in the lead, we needed to work the keeper more, and more importantly and move the ball quicker.

The start of the second half followed on from the end of the first, the away side having more of the attacking play, Louie testing the keeper with a 20 yard shot, Benji putting a shot from a clever free kick straight in to the ‘keepers hands. Wootton still posing at hreat on the counter, broke free down the left in to the box, but Jack E just did enough to put the attacker off and he shot wide. Then the killer blow, winning the ball in midfield Wootton worked the ball for a long range shot, Hayden looked to have it covered but it evaded his dive and went in, 2-0. The scoreline on the balance of play was harsh on the away side, but they were being punished for their own wastefulness in front of goal. They were desperately unlucky, Louie set free by Benji, flicked his shot past the oncoming keeper and watched as it came back off the post. It seemed to make the striker angry and the next action saw him flatten a Wootton midfielder with a perfectly legal shoulder barge, he turned and took the ball towards goal, for the flattened player to get up and make a two footed lunge straight through the back of his legs, the home referee just a few yards away said play on, an astonishing decision, Wootton broke upfield played through the away defence and scored 3-0. It was one of a number of baffling decisions to let fouls, pushing and pulling go, which is to be expected from someone not qualified to officiate a game, it was shame because it ruined a decent game of football. The away side then lost some disclipine and went chasing the game and conceded a fourth 4-0. To their credit the away side kept going and trying to get something from the game, Ethan firing wide from a good position, was the last meaningful action if the game.

FT 4-0

Summary: A disappointing result, we played well in pockets, after a slow start we improved the first half, but once again failed to convert our chances, we really should have come in at half time a couple of goals up. Started the second half brightly enough and again didn’t convert our chances, whereas everything our opponents hit seemed to go in. The scoreline wasn’t a reflection of the game, and on chances we should have won the game, but we gave the ball away too much throughout the game and didn’t play at a good enough tempo, often taking too many touches in central areas, which played in to our opponents hands. It was I think, just one of those days, but one which we can learn a lot from.

M.O.T.M: There weren’t too many shining lights today with many players playing well below par, Joe did some great work in spells in the game, and was probably our most creative player. Kieron did well at the back often traveling in to midfield with the ball which was nice to see. This weeks award goes to Aaron who I felt worked tremendously hard and nullified the opposition down the right, with not a lot of cover in front of him.



Related Post