Leighton Park Rangers (Cup)

WWFC Hurricanes 1 4 Leighton Park Rangers
21st Nov 2015
Leighton Buzzard

WWFC Hurricanes 1 – 4 Leighton Park Rangers

Scorer: Ryan

H/T Score:  0 – 2

Team: Evan; Francis, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Tao; Harry, Ryan


Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes returned to Leighton Buzzard after the previous week’s League draw against Linslade Galaxy Rio, however this time it was a Cup match against Leighton Park Rangers. The game had originally been scheduled to be played at Crawley Road, but due to the poor weather Leon had agreed the switch with the Rangers manager. Therefore, it would be the first of a double-header against Rangers with the League match following next week.

Leon and Andy had 12 players to choose from as Theo and Charles were unavailable. The team lined up as follows: Evan in goal; Francis, Freddie, Orlando and Rocco in defence; Asante, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke and Tao on midfield duties; Harry and Ryan up front.

The first half would see the Hurricanes kicking into the occasional gale-force wind, so they would need to be on their mettle. Within several minutes of the start, a Hurricanes attack broke down, and the Rangers player strode down the right wing. His hopeful ball into the middle bisected Rocco and Francis and presented the Leighton striker with a simple shot into the net. 0-1, and it would be an uphill battle from now on for Woburn. Despite some good hold-up play from Harry, there were precious few opportunities for the away team to level, as the wind picked up.

Later in the half a Rangers corner was floated in and caused havoc in the goalmouth. Leighton’s attempts to head it goalwards were thwarted by dogged defending yet the Hurricanes just could not clear the ball. Indeed, once it had come off of the post and onto a Woburn head, it was then lashed home for the home team to double their lead. 0-2, a reaction was needed. Asante and Luke both had shots, but they were easily held by the Rangers keeper. Half-time arrived and it was still 0-2, a fair reflection of the game so far.

Second half, Woburn needed to start quickly to have a chance of staying in the Cup but alas they conceded another early goal. A ball bobbling around the edge of the Lions penalty area was struck by a Leighton midfielder more in hope than expectation. What initially appeared to be a cross caught a gust of wind and looped over Evan but under the crossbar. 0-3 and already the Cup run looked to be over for the Hurricanes. However, heads didn’t drop and Woburn entered their best spell of the match. Slick midfield interplay started to create chances, as Woburn pushed Leighton back into their own half much more. Tao put a shot just wide of the post and Jeremy’s mazy run and fierce shot was claimed by the keeper at the second attempt.

Eventually Woburn won a corner, which was beautifully whipped in by Kamaal. This time, the first to the ball was a Hurricanes head, and Ryan powered the ball into the net. 1-3 and a great chance to create a grandstand finish. Woburn poured forward and went for broke, but alas were finished off by a deflected fourth goal and soon after the final whistle blew. 1-4 to Leighton Park Rangers, who advanced to the next round. Credit to Woburn for a spirited recovery, who went away knowing that they would have the chance for revenge as soon as next week!

Related Post