Woburn & Wavendon Football Club Linslade Galaxy Rio

Linslade Galaxy Rio

Linslade Galaxy Rio 1 1 WWFC Hurricanes
14th November 15

Linslade Galaxy Rio 1 – 1 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorer: Jeremy

H/T Score:  1 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c), Ryan; Asante, Francis, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Theo; Tao

MotM: Freddie


The first match since the half-term break saw yet another away trip, this time to the Deep South (or Leighton Buzzard as it’s better known). Mid-table Linslade Galaxy Rio were the opponents and on a cold, wet day on a greasy, sloping pitch it would be a big challenge to get a result. Still, Leon and Andy had a full squad to choose from which now included not just last time’s débutant Jeremy but also Kamaal and Theo. Welcome to Woburn lads!

The line-up saw Evan between the sticks; CharlesOrlandoFreddie and Rocco manning the barricades; FrancisJeremy, KamaalLuke and Theo providing midfield steel; AsanteHarryRyan and Tao spearheading the assault.

The match started with early openings for both teams, then a corner for Linslade saw a free header thumped past the post. Woburn had had a lucky escape, but their luck deserted them minutes later, as a throw-in for Linslade was picked up on the edge of the box and a fierce shot arrowed into the corner of the goal. 1-0 and a superb strike to break the deadlock. Hurricanes looked to reply instantly with Luke’s fine through-ball just being intercepted before Tao could reach it. However only a few minutes later, a move starting from the back resulted in Tao’s clever dink over the defenders and Jeremy raced through and calmly finished past the onrushing keeper. 1-1, and Jeremy’s first goal for the Hurricanes!

The second half saw Hurricanes looking to complete the turnaround. Luke, Kamaal, Francis and Theo drove the team forward and Tao dropped deep to receive and create. There was some excellent link-up play between Freddie and Asante, with Harry a constant menace on the shoulder of the last Galaxy defender. In one move Kamaal showed silky skills to win the ball from the Linslade midfielder and thread a delightful pass through the gap but Asante’s effort was just wide. However, as the final ten minutes were signalled, Linslade started piling on the pressure. The defence steeled themselves for wave after wave of attacks. Ryan dropped into an unfamiliar right-back position alternating with Orlando, whilst Charles, Freddie and Rocco covered centre and left. Time after time Linslade strode forward, but the Woburn boys stood firm, however when they did break through, Rio found Evan in sparkling form. He pushed one effort past the post, then another was tipped over followed by a fantastic reflex save from a shot which was rifling towards the top corner. In the final seconds, Linslade looked like they would grab a winner as a loose ball found a Rio striker unmarked at the back post yet his free header went wide!

Anyway, 1-1 it finished, a great game played in a good spirit by two competitive teams. Next week sees the first instalment of a double-header against Leighton Park Rangers, with Woburn enjoying home Cup advantage before the League game away the following week. See you there!

Related Post