MK Wanderers Hawks

MK Wanderers Hawks 3 1 WWFC Hurricanes
20th September 2014
Kents Hill Pavillion Frithwood Cresent, Kents Hill
League Game

MK Wanderers Hawks 3 – 1 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorer: Tao

H/T Score: 1 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco(c), Ryan; Asante, Francis, Harry, Josh; Tao

MotM: Francis



Hurricanes arrived at the Kents Hill pitch looking to build on their win against Leighton Corinthians the previous week. Luke was unavailable due to injury but still made it along to support his team-mates, and the team were boosted by the return of Ryan and Freddie.

The game started at a frenetic pace, with Hawks on the front foot straight away forcing early corners. However, in a reversal of recent times, the early goal went to the Hurricanes. A smart move through midfield looked like it had broken down, but Tao‘s persistence paid off, he broke past the last defender and placed his shot inside the keeper’s near post: 1-0 to the Hurricanes!

However, the Hawks were quickly back level when a goalmouth scramble left the ball falling to the opposition’s no. 12, who made no mistake. Shortly afterwards, Orlando, who had looked solid at the back, had to go off with a leg injury so the defence was reshuffled with Freddie slotting in at left back. The game really opened up, with chances being created at both ends. The Hawks 12 went close again, then Francis was played through from a great ball by Tao, with his shot agonisingly wide of the post. Hurricanes were now getting on top, and Francis, Tao and Asante played some fantastic football linking up beautifully. Soon it was half-time, and both teams had a chance to regroup.

The break seemed to work better for the Hawks who came out firing on all cylinders – Hurricanes were soon 2-1 down, as the Hawks robbed the ball in midfield, ran forward and arrowed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net. The Hawks scented blood, and the increasingly influential no. 10 was running the midfield. He passed to the no. 12, who bore down on goal, but Evan pulled off a stunning parry to deflect the ball onto the post and away. Hurricanes changed tack, and pushed Charles up from defence into midfield, alongside Josh. This helped stem the tide however the Hawks soon made it 3-1 after another fine move.

As the game entered its final phase the Hurricanes continued to push, and Harry and Asante grew into the game causing problems for the Hawks’ back line. Rocco had stabilised the defence and and was getting forward when possible to support Josh, which led to the home team having to re-jig their line-up. At the final whistle, the tired players shook hands – both teams knew they had been in a battle. Well played Hawks, next up for the Hurricanes will be Moretonville at home.

Related Post