Woburn & Wavendon Football Club Moretonville Jnrs Tornadoes

Moretonville Jnrs Tornadoes

WWFC Hurricanes 3 3 Moretonville Jnrs Tornadoes
27th September 2014
Home fixture, Crawley Road Woburn
League Game

WWFC Hurricanes 3 – 3 Moretonville Juniors Tornadoes

Scorers: Harry (2), Tao

H/T Score: 2 – 0

Team: Evan; Freddie, Orlando, Rocco(c), Ryan; Asante, Charles, Francis, Harry, Josh; Tao

MotM: Charles


Fresh from the defeat to MK Wanderers Hawks, the Hurricanes returned to the comforts of home soil for a hotly-contested game against Moretonville Juniors Tornadoes. Luke continued his recovery by cheering on the team from the sidelines, and everyone else available gave selection headaches (in a good way) for Leon and Andy.

Just as last week, Hurricanes were quick off the mark. Charles, playing on the right wing, delivered a beautiful cross which Harry deftly flicked past the Moretonville keeper and into the net: 1-0 after just 3 minutes! Confidence was surging through the home team – Harry had an effort loop just over the bar, then Asante saw his strong run and shot gathered by the grateful stopper. Evan had been a spectator for the first 10 minutes, but was soon called into action following a fine run and cross by the Tornadoes’ right-back. However, the Hurricanes kept pushing. Francis controlled a ball in midfield, passed to Harry whose shot was very well saved. Francis then went even closer with a snap shot just wide of the right post. Eventually, the pressure told and Tao doubled the Hurricanes’ lead with a superb lob: 2-0, and only 10 minutes played!

This spurred the Tornadoes into action and soon the Hurricanes’ defence, well-marshalled as ever by Rocco, was being kept busy. Ryan had to be strong to resist the attacks down the left, and Freddie, making his home league debut, was winning his battle with the away team’s attacking threat at right-back. Orlando came on for Ryan to freshen the defence, and Tao made way for Josh to bolster the midfield and prevent the attacks coming through the middle. The game entered a bit of a lull as both teams cancelled each other out, flickering to life with a good close-range save by Evan, then a defence-splitting pass from Josh to Asante who forced the keeper into action. Just before half-time, Asante went even closer from 20 yards, the keeper at full stretch to reach his dipping shot. The whistle blew, and both teams (and the crowd!) took a breather.

After a break in play for an injury to one of the Tornadoes, the game settled down again, with both teams creating chances but defence ruling over attack. Harry had a shot saved following a through ball from Francis, but soon the ball was in the other net after a goalmouth scramble. 2-1, game on! Further chances came and went, with Rocco’s shot from Francis’ corner well saved, and Tao’s chasing down of a poor clearance unlucky to roll wide of the post. Soon it was level pegging, as a fine Moretonville run and cross/shot baffled the Hurricanes’ defence and ended up in the back of the net. 2-2, anyone’s game!

Worse was to come, as minutes later the Hurricanes conceded a penalty which was dispatched with aplomb by the now rampant away team. 2-3. The shell-shocked Hurricanes were now facing defeat in a game which they had led for 40 minutes, but their response was impressive. Charles, who had enjoyed the freedom of the right touchline for much of the game, saw his cross well cut out by the keeper. A minute later, Francis rolled the ball through to Harry about 15 yards from goal – he unleashed a trademark screamer that nestled in the top-left corner of the goal: 3-3! Still the excitement wasn’t over, with both Harry and Asante making runs but not finding the final ball for the winner.

As the whistle blew, both teams could feel proud of their efforts in this six-goal thriller. Next up for the Hurricanes a tough test at unbeaten Great Linford Warriors in the Cup.

Related Post