Newport Pagnell Trojans

Newport Pagnell Trojans 1 3 WWFC Hurricanes
28th February 15
Newport Pagnell Youth Club, Wolverton Road, Newport Pagnell. MK16 8HX (adjacent to Body Limits gym)

Newport Pagnell Trojans 1 – 3 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorers: Asante, Joe, Harry

H/T: 1-1

Team: Evan, Luke; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Francis, Harry, Joe; Tao

MotM: Francis


After the postponement of the first league match of the Spring-Summer 2015 season, Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes finally got the chance to play a competitive fixture for the first time since December. Their opponents were a Newport Pagnell team freshly promoted from Division Four, who would provide a stern test on their home patch.

Leon and Andy were able to pick from a strong team, with only Ryan unavailable. Luke and Evan shared goalkeeping duties, with Charles, Freddie and Orlando rotating alongside Rocco at the back. Harry and Asante took up their wide positions with Joe and Francis in the middle, and Tao leading the line.

As ever, the game started at a frantic pace. Within seconds of the whistle Francis linked well with Tao whose ball out wide found Harry – his shot was only just wide. From the goal-kick, the Trojans instantly responded by testing Luke’s goalkeeping skills, forcing a corner and then a save. Asante and Tao combined for another chance, before the deadlock was broken. Unfortunately for the Hurricanes, the goal went to Newport Pagnell with a shot from the edge of the box evading Luke’s despairing dive. 1-0, arguably against the run of play. Hurricanes turned up the pressure. Harry’s cross was deflected behind for a corner whilst Francis, Tao and Asante all had shots saved by the impressive home keeper. Even reliable Rocco advanced forward and was fouled, but the resulting free kick and corner saw Tao’s header fly past the post. It seemed that whatever Woburn threw at the Trojans, nothing would go in. However, as half-time approached, good pressure from Harry saw the ball drop to Francis. His cross wasn’t cleanly caught by the keeper, and Asante showed a true poacher’s instinct to nip in at the far post and tuck in the loose ball. 1-1, and the half-time whistle blew shortly after.

The second half saw Hurricanes keep up their momentum, and a narrow offside decision foiled the ever-willing Asante. At the other end, Freddie and Charles were dealing well with the Trojans forward line alongside Rocco, restricting them to sporadic chances. The game settled down, with flickers of inspiration, mainly from Luke in his familiar central role. He was instrumental in the next major action when he was fouled 25 yards out from goal. Joe stepped up and placed an immaculate free kick into the top corner, not giving the keeper a chance. 1-2, and a stunning way for Joe to re-open his account for the Hurricanes!

Trojans looked rattled, and re-doubled their efforts. Evan pulled off several good saves including a great double stop, then distributed the ball quickly to Asante who raced forward, but his shot squirmed past the post. Luke’s cross found Harry whose fierce effort was saved. The game was certainly not done, and Orlando’s great tackle set Asante free before a robust challenge saw him halted in full flow by the home defence. Fortunately, Asante was able to carry on and his ball to Harry, then on to Luke nearly wrapped the game up but once again the Trojans keeper was able to palm away the piledriver. From Francis’ corner, Harry sealed the win by tucking away the loose ball after a goalmouth scramble. 1-3, and that was that.

A deserved win for Woburn including a contender for goal of the season. Next up: the first home match of 2015 against old foes Great Linford Warriors.

Related Post