Woburn & Wavendon Football Club Newport Pagnell Youth Trojans

Newport Pagnell Youth Trojans

Newport Pagnell Trojans 2 2 WWFC Hurricanes
17th October 15
Newport Pagnell

Newport Pagnell Trojans 2 – 2 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorers: Tao, Harry

H/T Score:  0 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c), Ryan; Asante, Francis, Harry, Luke; Tao

MotM: Francis


After the welcome break of a Cup win against Southside Scorpions, Woburn returned to league action with a trip north to Newport Pagnell Trojans. Leon and Andy had the full complement of players to pick from, so confidence was high against the basement team. However, the Trojans would also be looking upon this as a good opportunity to get a result against a team only just above them in the table.

The match started at a frenetic pace, and both defences had to be on their toes to prevent an early goal. Soon, the play settled down and Woburn got into their rhythm. About 10 minutes in, Tao chased a hopeful ball over the top of the Trojans defence and did what all good strikers do as the keeper shaped to clear – he jumped to block the ball, which rebounded off of him and into the empty net! 0-1 to the Hurricanes. Tao continued his one-man assault with a shot from distance. It seemed to be heading over the keeper into the top corner yet somehow the stopper got his fingertips to the ball and sent it over the bar. A terrific stop, which he repeated minutes later from yet another Tao attempt, this time round the post for a corner.

Hurricanes were well on top and Asante raced through towards goal, but yet again the diminutive Trojan last line of defence prevented further scoring. Knowing that their keeper was on top form, the Newport Pagnell players upped their game and began to dominate play. Following the heroics at one end, Evan pulled off an incredible save of his own to tip a goal-bound effort around the post to the despair of the home players. Less than a minute later, he was at it again as he tipped a looping shot-cum-cross over the bar. Further shots rained in on goal, going wide, before the half-time whistle blew. Hurricanes went in ahead, but there could have been many more goals had the keepers not played as well as they did.

The second half started with the Trojans looking determined to pull back level, which they did after 10 minutes – a ball in behind the Woburn defence was seized upon by Newport’s no. 34 and he rounded Evan and rolled the ball into the net. 1-1, and plenty of time for more goals. In fact, within 2 minutes Hurricanes were back in front, as this time Harry beat the offside trap and the keeper to stroke home and retake the lead. 1-2, could Woburn protect their slender advantage? The Trojans huffed and puffed but couldn’t force their way past the determined defensive wall until, with minutes to go, a Trojan corner was headed home from point blank range. 2-2. Very soon after the final whistle ended the contest.

In truth, it was a fair result between two well-matched sides who both showed their attacking intent. Next up for the Hurricanes would be another away match, this time to the Far East (or Bedford as we like to call it), to face Brickhill Wanderers.

Related Post