Silverstone Racers Panthers

WWFC Hurricanes 1 1 Silverstone Racers Panthers
3rd October 15

WWFC Hurricanes 1 – 1 Silverstone Racers Panthers

Scorer: Tao

H/T Score:  1 – 0

Team: Evan; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c), Ryan; Asante, Francis, Harry, Luke; Tao

MotM: Evan


Doubtless stung by last Saturday’s defeat by Stony Stratford Town, Hurricanes strode out onto the dewy turf at Crawley Road looking to exact revenge in the form of a victory against a (relatively) new opponent – Silverstone Racers Panthers. The only previous game between them had resulted in a narrow 1-0 victory to the Panthers in a tournament, so a close game could be expected.

In a positive frame of mind, Leon and Andy reverted to 3 at the back (Rocco, Orlando and Freddie) in front of trusty Evan, with a midfield of Harry, Francis, Charles and Luke supporting Tao up front. Later on in the game Asante and Ryan would enter the fray to bolster the midfield and attacking options.

Clearly keen to get off to a flying start, Woburn attacked immediately and piled pressure on, getting forward faster than in previous weeks. Harry really seemed to have the bit between his teeth, and was involved in most of the play from the outset. However, it was not all one-way traffic and the Panthers had to be kept at bay by Rocco and his crew, with Evan occasionally called into action. Freddie took a knock and needed a breather, necessitating a change of personnel with Francis dropping back into defence and Asante covering in midfield. Eventually, after several false starts, a sublime through ball from Harry found Tao with only the goalkeeper to beat and he slotted home in style. 1-0 to the Hurricanes, the first time that they had taken the lead in a match this season. Woburn looked to build upon the lead using Asante’s pace, Harry’s trickery and Tao’s power but the half ended with no further score.

Knowing that they needed to up their game, Silverstone were out quickly for the second half, and strode forward with renewed vigour. The match became a real end-to-end battle and defensively Woburn held out against a series of corners, always with the treat of a breakaway in mind. However, 10 minutes from the end, the prowling Panthers equalised from the penalty spot following a trip on their right midfielder, and we were back to stalemate. 1-1, and despite further efforts the game finished like that. Credit to Woburn for their tenacious play as coming back from a poor result last week showed real determination, but also well done Silverstone for fighting all the way to the final straight. Next week sees a welcome break from league action as Woburn travel to Southside as Cup fever takes hold!


Related Post