Two Mile Ash Dragons

Two Mile Ash Dragons 3 1 WWFC Hurricanes
19 September 15

Two Mile Ash Dragons 3 – 1 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorer: Tao

H/T Score:  0 – 0

Team: Evan; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Francis, Harry; Tao


Following last week’s narrow defeat at windy Winslow, Hurricanes headed west again to Loughton for a match against Two Mile Ash Dragons. Leon was able to call upon everyone bar Luke who had a prior family engagement, and so the fixture commenced against familiar foes (the Dragons had finished just above Woburn last season).

The first half saw a game of few clear chances for either side, with most danger being quickly snuffed out by the Woburn back line of Freddie, Rocco, Orlando and Francis. However, Evan had to be on his toes to tip a powerful flick on from a corner onto the bar, to keep the game scoreless. At the other end, Harry and Asante were getting little joy from the solid Dragons defence, whilst in the middle of the park Charles and Tao (playing slightly deeper) were fully committed to containment of the dangerous double-act of the no. 8 and no.9. Ryan came on to help shore up the left side, and the half-time whistle came with a stalemate looking likely.

The second half started in much the same fashion, with both teams effectively cancelling each other out. However, gradually the influence of the Two Mile Ash midfield began to grow, and the Dragons suddenly found themselves up with a goal from the edge of the penalty box. 1-0. Almost from the restart, Two Mile Ash doubled their lead as a speculative shot from fully 20 yards rifled through a mass of players leaving unsighted Evan with too much to do to prevent it nestling in the corner of the net. 2-0, Woburn were wobbling, the Dragons were looking too hot to handle. Soon another goal came from the tricky no.7, who danced around the outside of a lunging tackle, to slot home at the near post. 3-0, and the slight uphill slope looked like a mountain for the Hurricanes.

Still, Leon roused the tiring troops for a response to this quickfire barrage, and the boys redoubled their efforts. Tao, Harry and Asante moved upfield, and eventually found their reward. Asante launched himself towards a loose ball in the Dragons’ half, knocked it forward and as he collided with the onrushing keeper, the ball fell loose to Tao who stroked it home. 3-1, and the first goal of the campaign for our soldiers. However, there was not enough time left for further action and the game finished shortly after.
Ultimately a 5 minute spell proved the difference between the teams, but Woburn can be pleased with the way they competed and take the positives into the first home game of the season next week against Stony Stratford.

Related Post