Two Mile Ash Dragons

WWFC Hurricanes 2 2 Two Mile Ash Dragons
30th January 16

WWFC Hurricanes 2 – 2 Two Mile Ash Dragons

Scorers: Harry, Asante

H/T Score:  1 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan; Harry, Tao, Theo


2015 finished well for the Hurricanes with a victory against highly-placed Harrold & Carlton and last week the team were looking forward to the commencement of the second half of the season. The first opponents were due to be Winslow, but the wet weather put paid to any chance of the home match being played. Therefore, Woburn had to wait a week and resume rivalry with Two Mile Ash Dragons. Leon and Andy were able to call upon all of the squad except Freddie and Jeremy, and lined up looking to exact revenge for the 3-1 defeat in September.

The Dragons started the game strongest, and were quickly ahead when a powerful shot kept low and found its way under Evan into the net. 0-1, and Woburn would have to up their game. Fortunately, the Hurricanes are a resilient bunch and kept their cool whilst working their way back into the match. Luke forced their keeper into a good save, and the team went through the gears. Midway through the half and Woburn were level. Rocco’s through ball found Luke who held up the ball well before laying off to Harry who finished with aplomb. 1-1, level pegging. Woburn were having some success with some marvellous searching passes, but no further goals to show for it by half-time.

The second half saw the Hurricanes playing into the wind, but it didn’t seem to affect the home team’s momentum. Luke showed supreme skill out on the right, and Harry had a shot once again well saved by the Dragons keeper, who was having a good game. As the game entered the final quarter a breakthrough – Luke’s floated ball into the box found Asante at the far post and his volleyed finish put Woburn into a deserved lead. 2-1, and 15 minutes to hold on. At this point, the Dragons pushed forward and the Hurricanes had to mount a rearguard action. With 5 minutes to go, Two Mile Ash won a corner and after a goalmouth scramble, managed to poke the ball into the net. 2-2, back to square one. A frantic last few minutes followed as this time Woburn threw themselves forward. Tao reached the byline, slid the ball goalwards, but the ball was trapped by the post and the effort came to nothing. Further pressure came from the Lions but there was to be no final breakthrough, the game ending all square. Credit to both teams for the usual well-contested match on a very muddy surface. Next week, Woburn would be looking to continue their unbeaten run with a very tough match against Stony Stratford Town. Could they do it? Find out soon…

Related Post