Leighton Park Rangers (Cup)

WWFC Hurricanes 1 – 4 Leighton Park Rangers

Scorer: Ryan

H/T Score:  0 – 2

Team: Evan; Francis, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Tao; Harry, Ryan


Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes returned to Leighton Buzzard after the previous week’s League draw against Linslade Galaxy Rio, however this time it was a Cup match against Leighton Park Rangers. The game had originally been scheduled to be played at Crawley Road, but due to the poor weather Leon had agreed the switch with the Rangers manager. Therefore, it would be the first of a double-header against Rangers with the League match following next week.

Leon and Andy had 12 players to choose from as Theo and Charles were unavailable. The team lined up as follows: Evan in goal; Francis, Freddie, Orlando and Rocco in defence; Asante, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke and Tao on midfield duties; Harry and Ryan up front.

The first half would see the Hurricanes kicking into the occasional gale-force wind, so they would need to be on their mettle. Within several minutes of the start, a Hurricanes attack broke down, and the Rangers player strode down the right wing. His hopeful ball into the middle bisected Rocco and Francis and presented the Leighton striker with a simple shot into the net. 0-1, and it would be an uphill battle from now on for Woburn. Despite some good hold-up play from Harry, there were precious few opportunities for the away team to level, as the wind picked up.

Later in the half a Rangers corner was floated in and caused havoc in the goalmouth. Leighton’s attempts to head it goalwards were thwarted by dogged defending yet the Hurricanes just could not clear the ball. Indeed, once it had come off of the post and onto a Woburn head, it was then lashed home for the home team to double their lead. 0-2, a reaction was needed. Asante and Luke both had shots, but they were easily held by the Rangers keeper. Half-time arrived and it was still 0-2, a fair reflection of the game so far.

Second half, Woburn needed to start quickly to have a chance of staying in the Cup but alas they conceded another early goal. A ball bobbling around the edge of the Lions penalty area was struck by a Leighton midfielder more in hope than expectation. What initially appeared to be a cross caught a gust of wind and looped over Evan but under the crossbar. 0-3 and already the Cup run looked to be over for the Hurricanes. However, heads didn’t drop and Woburn entered their best spell of the match. Slick midfield interplay started to create chances, as Woburn pushed Leighton back into their own half much more. Tao put a shot just wide of the post and Jeremy’s mazy run and fierce shot was claimed by the keeper at the second attempt.

Eventually Woburn won a corner, which was beautifully whipped in by Kamaal. This time, the first to the ball was a Hurricanes head, and Ryan powered the ball into the net. 1-3 and a great chance to create a grandstand finish. Woburn poured forward and went for broke, but alas were finished off by a deflected fourth goal and soon after the final whistle blew. 1-4 to Leighton Park Rangers, who advanced to the next round. Credit to Woburn for a spirited recovery, who went away knowing that they would have the chance for revenge as soon as next week!

Harrold & Carlton Lions

Harrold & Carlton Lions 5 – 2 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorers: Freddie, Asante

H/T Score:  3 – 1

Team: Francis; Charles, Freddie, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Ryan; Tao

MotM: Francis


Following last week’s stunning victory against Newport Pagnell, the Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes wagons rolled into the picturesque (and remote) village of Turvey for the final match of this long league season. Harrold & Carlton were sitting comfortably in 3rd position in the table, whilst Woburn were destined to finish 3rd bottom whatever the scoreline today. However, the Hurricanes had upset the form book before Christmas with a 4-1 win against H&C, so no doubt the home team would be looking for that dish best served cold.

Leon and Andy had a diminished team to choose from. Following Orlando‘s departure in April, Theo had also decided to take a break from football, we all wish him well and hope to see both him and his Dad Steve on the touchline again soon. Not only that but also two of the three goalkeeping options were injured! Luke‘s joy at beating Newport Pagnell had been tempered by the fracture to his arm (although it didn’t stop him cheering on the team), and Evan had sprained his wrist so Francis stood in between the sticks. Sadly 3 minutes in and his first action was picking the ball out of the net as a corner wasn’t cleared, and slotted in by H&C. 1-0. The end of season feel was very much in evidence, although Woburn perked up as Harry had a shot well saved and Freddie‘s corner needed to be held. However, the game was gone in 60 seconds as another Carlton corner was deflected in for 2-0, then straight from the kick-off the H&C no. 8 won the ball and strolled through weary Woburn to slot home for 3-0. The Lions did pull one back as Kamaal‘s corner saw Freddie’s looping header beat everyone in the box. 3-1, a possible lifeline before half-time.

Harrold & Carlton looked to extend their lead after the break but Francis appeared to morph into a curious hybrid of Gandalf and Manuel Neuer. He might as well have shouted ‘YOU SHALL NOT PASS’ as he smashed the ball clear of the goal several times (once an unwitting H&C player was poleaxed as the loose ball hit him). Despite this inspired display, the pacy no. 8 ran onto a through ball to make it 4-1 before Asante reduced the deficit with a shot/cross that caught a gust of wind. He meant it, of course. 4-2. Woburn pushed up looking for more, but an uncharacteristic error from the stand-in keeper saw both Harrold & Carlton pounce on a loose ball to wrap up the game. 5-2. The Hurricanes did have the ball in the net again, but the referee ruled that it had been handled, so the final whistle blew with no more goals. Well done to Harrold & Carlton for exacting their revenge, but similarly credit to Woburn & Wavendon for their play both today and throughout the long season.

Next up, tournament time, but we’re never very good in tournaments, are we???

Leighton Park Rangers

WWFC Hurricanes 1 – 2 Leighton Park Rangers

Scorer: Kamaal

H/T Score:  1 – 2

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Freddie, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan, Theo; Tao

MotM: Charles


Following a month-long Easter break, Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes returned to action against Leighton Park Rangers. Reader, you may recall that the previous games between these two teams were somewhat fractious affairs, and this correspondent resolved to abstain from commenting about certain aspects of the matches, so this report will be (almost entirely) factual.

Leon and Andy had a full squad to choose from, with the exception of Orlando who has decided to take a short break from football – hopefully he’ll be back to represent the Hurricanes again some time soon. After the neutral referee had started the match, the Rangers roamed and the Lions struggled to break free from their enclosure, with only Evan in goal keeping the scoreline blank. However, soon Leighton led after a break down the left and a smart finish. 0-1, a long way to go. Leighton continued to dominate and on 15′ Evan produced the save of the match from a first time shot following a peach of a cross. Although Woburn grew into the game, the lead was doubled when a Leighton player controlled a throw-in, turned, ran in and scored before any player could challenge him. 0-2, a long way back.

Woburn reacted as only they can, by throwing caution to the wind and attacking. A fine cross was met with a diving header and only kept out by an equally good save from the Rangers keeper, who had had little to do up to that point. Two minutes later, he was tested again following a terrific Theo cross from the byline, and Woburn got the just rewards when the resulting corner from Kamaal went straight in! 1-2, a long shot (but it might just work).

Half-time came and went, and in truth there was little more goalmouth excitement as Leighton Park Rangers showed their ability to close out the game, with only a superb Jeremy run and shot causing them any concern. So, a 1-2 loss for Woburn but a much better result than previous efforts against a good team. Next up would be an even better team, MK Gallacticos…

Linslade Galaxy Rio

WWFC Hurricanes 2 – 2 Linslade Galaxy Rio

Scorer: Harry (2)

H/T Score:  2 – 1

Team: Francis; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan, Theo; Tao

MotM: Asante


Once again Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes had the comforts of a home match, this time against Linslade Galaxy Rio. The reverse fixture had seen a 1-1 draw on a rainy day in Bedfordshire, could the teams be separated this time? Leon and Andy had to make do without super keeper Evan, so Francis was drafted in to fill the gloves.

The early running in the game was made by the away team, with the Lions in defensive mode. About 20 minutes in, a fine finish by their striker put Linslade in front when Woburn failed to clear their lines. 0-1. However, pressure from Woburn forced an equaliser 5 minutes later as Charles‘ ball to Jeremy was helped on into the box and Harry bundled in. 1-1. Woburn were not done yet, and took the lead just before the half-time whistle with Harry getting his second at the second attempt! 2-1, time for a breather.

Once again Linslade started the half brighter and equalised 5 minutes in, when a throw-in was missed by the defence and lashed home by the grateful Galaxy forward. 2-2, all to play for. In fact, although goalkeeping errors at both ends led to chances for both teams to take the initiative, the nets remained ball-free. Yet right at the death, Linslade did find the target but only after the ball had crossed the byline. Goal ruled out, Galaxy gutted, Hurricanes happy with a point. Final score 2-2.

Next up for Woburn would be Leighton Park Rangers after the Easter break – would the Park Rangers bear up against the Lions? Find out soon…

MK Gallacticos Spartans

WWFC Hurricanes 0 – 4 MK Gallacticos Spartans

H/T Score:  0 – 3

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Freddie, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan; Tao

MotM: Francis


Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes returned to Crawley Road for another home match in their Division Two campaign, this time against arguably the team to beat – MK Gallacticos. The team in green had won their first 8 matches, and were looking formidable in their quest to climb the league ladder to the top. However, they had suffered a reverse against Harrold & Carlton last week, so the Hurricanes hoped to shake off their own defeat to Brickhill Wanderers with a win.

The warm morning sun provided a welcome change from recent cold starts, although the usual joy of setting up the pitch was tempered somewhat. Sadly, it would appear that some local skinflints had attempted to grab an early parking spot for the Woburn tournament (2nd and 3rd July folks), before realising the error of their ways. Fortunately, they had only driven over part of the pitch, so the game could go ahead with no disruption. If anyone has any information on who may have perpetrated this, please phone the SR Nova Hotline.

Leon and Andy had a full squad except Orlando and Theo to choose from, and settled on a familiar line-up with two at the back, holding midfielder and one up front. Gallacticos started the game strongly, with a number of probing runs and darting moves, nevertheless Woburn held out well, without creating much of their own. However, ten minutes in and the away team made the breakthrough, as their right winger reached the byline and pulled the ball back for the no. 18 to slide the ball home. 0-1, Woburn with work to do. They looked to make an instant response, Luke teeing up Jeremy whose turn and shot was gathered by the Gallacticos keeper, however the referee had blown for handball. Soon the Gallacticos doubled their lead midway through the half – a ball over the top saw a smart turn and finish. 0-2, Woburn wobbling.

Unfortunately for the Hurricanes, worse was to come as Rocco had to go off with a head injury following a strong challenge. However this gave Kamaal a chance to help shore up the midfield. Woburn gradually fought their way back into the game, Harry‘s fine ball picking out Jeremy who forced a save for a corner. Gallacticos retaliated and a snap shot from the edge of the area forced a great save from Evan low down to his left. The final few minutes of the half were now end-to-end, as the Hurricanes looked to nick one back before the break. Jeremy and Kamaal combined well but were unlucky not to force a corner. Then, Gallacticos forged a break of their own, with the no. 18 again causing havoc down the flanks – his whipped in ball diverted into the net for an own goal. 0-3, harsh on the Hurricanes.

Tao replaced Harry, and was instantly in the thick of it up front, holding the ball up and fending off some robust challenges from the MK back line. There was nearly a comedy moment as a Charles clearance hit the corner flag and stayed on the pitch. The referee signalled play to continue while both teams stared at the ball, clearly mesmerised by this sorcery. However, they emerged from their reverie and Evan claimed the ball with a smart stop. He then demonstrated his kicking ability, sending the ball to Jeremy who laid it off to Kamaal. His super through-ball to Asante looked to be timed to perfection, but as the Bedfordshire Neymar slotted home the linesman’s flag was raised for offside. The half-time whistle blew, and the players got the breather they deserved.

Woburn knew that they would have to produce a remarkable comeback to get something from the game, and they started quickly. Kamaal played a superb ball around the corner and Tao was almost in, but the quick defender managed to turn the ball away for a corner, which came to nothing. Soon after, Evan’s long goal kick reached Asante who crossed the ball in. Luke flicked on to Jeremy but his effort was just over. Several minutes later and this time it was Tao’s through-ball which reached Asante and his first-time shot but the keeper pulled off a great save.

The Hurricanes had certainly had the better chances of the first part of this half. Francis showed good strength to hold off a Gallacticos player who had to bring him down to break up an attack – the resulting free-kick by Kamaal was unlucky not to reduce the deficit. Ryan also looked to get in on the act but was unable to get his shot on target as Hurricanes peppered the goal, albeit from distance. Not only were Woburn attacking with more intent, but also defending stoutly – Freddie produced a good tackle to thwart one of the rare MK attacks. However, with only 10 minutes left, time was running out. Another Woburn break saw Asante’s shot parried and Tao was unlucky not to poke home as once again desperate defending kept the Lions at bay. Once again Freddie kept the scores at 0-3 with another super tackle, and soon after Gallacticos broke again but shot wide.

It looked as if the game would peter out with no further addition to the scoreline but just before the end, Gallacticos’ big no. 15 added a final goal. 0-4, final score.

Credit must go to the Gallacticos who showed touches and finesse worthy of a top team, but also Woburn whose performance on another day could have, and probably should have, gained them more from the game. Next up, another home game against Linslade Galaxy Rio before the Easter break – could the Hurricanes blow away the March cobwebs with a win? Tune in soon to find out…

Brickhill Wanderers

WWFC Hurricanes 1 – 4 Brickhill Wanderers


H/T Score:



Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes lost in the league for only the second time since September to Brickhill Wanderers. The match highlights can be summarised thus:-











Message ends.

Newport Pagnell Youth Trojans

WWFC Hurricanes 9 – 1 Newport Pagnell Trojans

Scorers: Tao (3), Kamaal, Harry (2), Ryan, Asante (2)

H/T Score:  4 – 0

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Freddie, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan; Tao

MotM: Kamaal


Woburn & Wavendon Hurricanes reached the penultimate game of the 2015/16 season in unfamiliar territory. Not only metaphorically (after a poor run of home games seeing them without a win in the last 7), but literally, as the preparations for the home tournament at Crawley Road meant that this match had to be played in Ridgmont. Their opponents had also suffered recently and had been limited in their endeavours by a shortage of players, more of which later.

Anyway, Leon and Andy surveyed the pastoral scene next to the water tower and adjacent to the glass windows of the nursery behind the far end as they arranged the team. All bar long-term absentees Theo and Orlando were present, and also making the journey was Alphaeus who had been training with the Hurricanes recently.

The Trojans started brightly, belying their league status, and ripped through the Woburn defensive line several times without troubling the scoresheet. Similarly the Hurricanes went for it and 10 minutes in took the lead with a fine move. Jeremy escaped his marker, ran to the byline and pinged in a cross. The clearance only went as far as Tao, who coolly finished into the corner of the net. 1-0, a fine start to an open game. Five minutes later Evan preserved the lead with a super point blank save, then shortly after Luke hit the bar as the Hurricanes started to exert their dominance. Harry showed Gazza-esque skills in flicking the ball over his man, then Charles made a fantastic block when the no. 7 was poised to shoot.

Woburn were playing some fine football on a difficult surface by now. Luke found himself clean through but was tripped and fell heavily. Kamaal‘s free-kick was acrobatically tipped onto the bar by the Trojans keeper, but Tao was on hand to head in the rebound. 2-0, pressure telling. A goal kick from Evan found Jeremy who broke forward. He passed to Kamaal who set up Tao for his hat-trick, 3-0, Lions rampant. Just before the interval, Woburn added another from Kamaal, after a good header by Ryan to set him up. 4-0, the best half of the season. Even then, there could have been more goals as Ryan had a shot well saved and also Francis came close with a header.

After the break, Harry and Asante continued to wreak havoc down the flanks, as Newport Pagnell gamely defended against the Hurricanes on stunning form. They even threatened and had a good spell of their own with a series of corners but Woburn’s (and in particular Rocco‘s) concentration levels at the back were good, and another break saw Ryan and Kamaal link up well before Harry buried another shot past the helpless keeper. 5-0. Ryan was truly inspired, and his perseverance winning a ball that quite frankly he had no right to, saw his effort deflected into Harry’s path for another. 6-0. Ryan got his just rewards when a Kamaal corner found him unmarked in the box and his bullet header proved unstoppable. 7-0.

Seeing all this action had made Freddie jealous. He picked up the ball near the halfway line, burst through the Trojans defence evading several tackles and unleashed a piledriver, yet the keeper was equal to it. Undeterred, the next minute Freddie played a super ball through for Ryan who seemed certain to score when out of nowhere a Newport defender lunged in and took it off of his foot. It has to be said that even though the game had slipped away from them, the Trojans were never downhearted and didn’t resort to underhand tactics or fouls, so fair play to them.

Asante tried an outrageous chip form the touchline which went just wide, and from Kamaal’s corner Freddie was once again unlucky not to convert. Unfortunately the next action saw a bad-looking injury to a Trojans player, who had to leave the field. As Newport Pagnell had no substitutes, the opposing coaches decided that in order to keep the game going Alphaeus would play for the away team – a good sporting gesture in keeping with the spirit of fair play on show.

Asante finally got his reward with a goal from an acute angle to make to 8-0 (although the official score would be frozen at the point when Alphaeus joined play), then the substitute himself pulled one back – Alphaeus with a great lob over Evan following a great save. 8-1, a fitting consolation goal. This only riled our Hurricanes heroes, and Asante grabbed his second from Luke’s corner with a superb volleyed finish. 9-1. There was just time to Harry to be thwarted in his quest for a hat-trick, and that was that. A comprehensive victory for Woburn, but also a game played in the right spirit despite the injuries (Luke also had to go to hospital after the match, he had sustained a fracture earlier on without realising). Credit to Newport Pagnell Trojans for never giving up and to both sets of players for a thoroughly enjoyable game. Next for Woburn would be a trip to deepest Turvey, to play Harrold & Carlton in the season finale. Would Harry shine against Harrold? Find out soon in the final thrilling instalment…

Silverstone Racers Panthers

Silverstone Racers Panthers 3 – 3 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorers: Francis, Jeremy, Rocco

H/T Score:  1 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Jeremy, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan; Tao, Theo


Following last week’s superb win against Stony Stratford, Woburn were on the road again with a visit to Silverstone Racers Panthers. Earlier in the season the teams had played out a turbo-charged stalemate, so the return fixture looked set to be a pumped-up affair.

Leon and Andy had a full squad to choose from which would be useful on the sloping pitch with a bracing cross-wind. There was a slight delay to kick-off whilst the previous match finished as the backup referee had to arrive (the original one being unavailable). During the delay Theo’s Dad Steve kept the team moving with some additional warm-ups, whilst the other parents availed themselves of hot drinks and bacon sandwiches from the tea bar – definitely needed to stave off the Arctic temperatures.

Woburn started the game the stronger with an excellent midfield break, however Asante was unable to squeeze the ball in at the near post. They kept the pressure up and from another fast break Luke’s fierce shot was parried by the Silverstone stopper. The loose ball fell to Francis who delicately chipped the prone keeper and the ball rolled into the net. 0-1, Lions cruising, Racers in neutral.

Soon after, Silverstone won a corner which, due to the strong cross-wind, carried over all of the players and went out for a throw-in. However, the referee had spotted an infringement on the edge of the box and an indirect free kick was awarded to the home team. Woburn dealt with it comfortably but several minutes later they had more to deal with. A Racers throw-in near the corner of the penalty box was met by two players, one from each team. They both missed the ball and went down, and the referee pointed to the spot, despite no appeals from the Panthers. Evan made a valiant attempt to save the penalty but the striker had done his part and equalised. 1-1, level pegging.

Both teams were playing well and had settled into the conditions. Silverstone nearly took the lead when a strong header had to be parried by Evan, and Woburn made regular forays into the Panthers’ box, to no avail. With 10 minutes of the half remaining Woburn launched another attack, which resulted in a corner. Kamaal flashed the ball in, and following a trademark goalmouth scramble, Jeremy lashed the ball into the roof of the net. 1-2, Woburn back in the driving seat. Further joy was to follow as another Hurricanes attack was seemingly thwarted by the impressive Racers keeper, yet Rocco launched an unstoppable piledriver from fully 20 yards hard and fast into the net. 1-3, and another goal of the season contender.

Following the half-time break, Woburn looked to consolidate their lead. Rocco was subject to a late tackle and it looked like he may have to be substituted, but in true captain’s fashion he was able to soldier on. Soon after, Silverstone won a corner and in a repeat of the first half, a goalmouth scramble saw the Woburn lead halved. 2-3, great cornering again. The Panthers tails were up, and Lions were having to work hard to stay in front. Racers won a series of free-kicks (for reasons unknown to all) and one of them was from a dangerous position a few feet outside the corner of the penalty box. The Silverstone player launched the ball goalwards, over the Woburn wall and straight into the top corner. 3-3, neck and neck approaching the home straight.

To change metaphors for a minute, both teams decided to throw the kitchen sink at one another and attacks came thick and fast, However, the tiring players were unable to fashion any clear chances and the referee’s final whistle sounded with no additions to the scoreline. Once again it had proved impossible to separate these finely matched teams. Credit to Silverstone for a spirited fightback and similarly well done to Woburn for keeping their unbeaten run going into the half-term break. Next up for the Hurricanes – a return to home comforts against a team from another place rich in motoring heritage: Newport Pagnell Trojans. Could they find the winning formula? Tune in next time…

Stony Stratford Town

Stony Stratford Town 2 – 5 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorers: Asante (3), Luke, og

H/T Score:  1 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Harry, Kamaal, Luke; Ryan, Theo

MotM: Evan


Following hot on the heels of last week’s draw with Two Mile Ash, Woburn ventured northwards to Stony Stratford for their latest league fixture. Stony had triumphed 8-1 in the reverse match before Christmas, but the lads had played in the Stony tournament a few seasons ago and beaten today’s hosts, so anything was possible.

Leon and Andy were able to call upon all bar two of the squad, with Tao and Jeremy being unavailable, so the team got to work on their drills whilst the goalposts arrived from one of the other pitches, and the lines were repainted. Soon the referee took control and got the match started.

The early exchanges were cagey as each team took some time to adjust to the gusty and boggy conditions, but 10 minutes in Stony took the lead with a fine angled shot from their no. 7 whistling past Evan. 1-0, and Stony were looking strong. Woburn didn’t panic though, and soon were playing good football, especially considering that they were kicking into the wind. Theo, playing up front, saw a strong shot saved by the Stony keeper. Francis and Luke were beginning to gain control of the midfield, and releasing Harry and Asante when possible to terrorise the Stony back line. Soon, they got their reward as a sweet through-ball found Asante on the edge of the six-yard box, and his shot rifled past the keeper into the bottom corner of the net. 1-1, and the Hurricanes were deservedly level. Both teams started to push on but Woburn looked solid at the back, with Freddie and Charles dealing well with the threat from the tricky no. 12 , and Rocco showing his usual tenacity especially when chasing down Stony through-balls. Evan was also running a masterclass in how to take goal kicks into the wind, and as half-time came the team’s confidence was clear.

After the break the tone was set straight away. From the kick-off Stony moved the ball out wide, Luke chased his man down and won a throw-in. From that moment it was apparent that the claret and blues meant business, and soon after they took the lead from a corner. Luke floated the ball in and Asante threw himself at it, and it nestled into the net. 1-2, and Hurricanes heads were high. The Lions set about mauling their opponents, and soon after Harry’s cross was headed superbly over the keeper by Luke. 1-3, Stony stunned. More was to follow. Within 90 seconds, Evan’s huge goal kick was controlled by Asante who calmly slotted past the keeper for his hat-trick. 1-4, Lions rampant. Leon rotated the team and Orlando came on to replace Freddie, whilst Kamaal bolstered the midfield and Ryan took up striker duties in place of Theo.

Shell-shocked Stony were handed a lifeline with 10 minutes left, when the referee blew for a penalty after a seemingly innocuous challenge. Up stepped the Stony player, whose shot was initially saved by Evan, but agonisingly it squirmed over the keeper and trickled into the net. 2-4, would Woburn wobble? No. Within a minute of conceding, Woburn had regained their 3 goal cushion. Streaming up the pitch with some simple yet elegant passing, the Hurricanes forced an own goal (with Harry in very close attendance). 2-5, job done.

The final whistle brought a cheer from the crowd, and the players congratulated each other on a marvellous performance and result. Special mentions to Theo, who will have given the Stony Stratford defenders nightmares with his movement and pace, Asante for his hat-trick and general threat, and Harry for his all-round performance but there was no-one more deserving of the Man of the Match than Evan. Kicks, saves, general confidence, his performance had the lot.

Next up is another away game, even further north, at Silverstone. Can the boys keep up their unbeaten run? Find out next week!

Two Mile Ash Dragons

WWFC Hurricanes 2 – 2 Two Mile Ash Dragons

Scorers: Harry, Asante

H/T Score:  1 – 1

Team: Evan; Charles, Francis, Orlando, Rocco (c); Asante, Kamaal, Luke, Ryan; Harry, Tao, Theo


2015 finished well for the Hurricanes with a victory against highly-placed Harrold & Carlton and last week the team were looking forward to the commencement of the second half of the season. The first opponents were due to be Winslow, but the wet weather put paid to any chance of the home match being played. Therefore, Woburn had to wait a week and resume rivalry with Two Mile Ash Dragons. Leon and Andy were able to call upon all of the squad except Freddie and Jeremy, and lined up looking to exact revenge for the 3-1 defeat in September.

The Dragons started the game strongest, and were quickly ahead when a powerful shot kept low and found its way under Evan into the net. 0-1, and Woburn would have to up their game. Fortunately, the Hurricanes are a resilient bunch and kept their cool whilst working their way back into the match. Luke forced their keeper into a good save, and the team went through the gears. Midway through the half and Woburn were level. Rocco’s through ball found Luke who held up the ball well before laying off to Harry who finished with aplomb. 1-1, level pegging. Woburn were having some success with some marvellous searching passes, but no further goals to show for it by half-time.

The second half saw the Hurricanes playing into the wind, but it didn’t seem to affect the home team’s momentum. Luke showed supreme skill out on the right, and Harry had a shot once again well saved by the Dragons keeper, who was having a good game. As the game entered the final quarter a breakthrough – Luke’s floated ball into the box found Asante at the far post and his volleyed finish put Woburn into a deserved lead. 2-1, and 15 minutes to hold on. At this point, the Dragons pushed forward and the Hurricanes had to mount a rearguard action. With 5 minutes to go, Two Mile Ash won a corner and after a goalmouth scramble, managed to poke the ball into the net. 2-2, back to square one. A frantic last few minutes followed as this time Woburn threw themselves forward. Tao reached the byline, slid the ball goalwards, but the ball was trapped by the post and the effort came to nothing. Further pressure came from the Lions but there was to be no final breakthrough, the game ending all square. Credit to both teams for the usual well-contested match on a very muddy surface. Next week, Woburn would be looking to continue their unbeaten run with a very tough match against Stony Stratford Town. Could they do it? Find out soon…