League – Home To Blunham Youth

WWFC - Whirlwinds 4 2 Blunham Youth FC
28th October
Bow Brickhill Pavillion, Rushmere Close, Bow Brickhill, Milton Keynes MK17 9JB

A fresh early morning kick off at Bowbrickhill, Whirlwinds for once keen to get on with their warm up, to stop the chattering teeth.

Blunham had endured a difficult start to the season, new to the league and struggling a little to adapt to a higher level. Pre-match Whirlwinds were told how important it was to make a good start, to not allow the opposition to gain in confidence. The game kicked off and Whirlwinds instead of showing high intensity were lethargic, sloppy with the ball, taking too many touches, which allowed Blunham too see much more of the ball than they should have done. They were generally neat and tidy with it, but their problems were obvious, little cutting edge up front and the Whirlwinds defence under more pressure than they should have been, dealt with everything reasonably comfortably. Whirlwinds should have taken the lead against the run of play, for once stringing some passes together, Sam cleverly found Jack with time and space in the box, but he fired his shot over the bar.

Finally after putting the Blunham under a little bit of pressure, the home side made the breakthrough, it came almost from route one, a punt up the pitch from Ellis dropped for Ajiri to race on to and he calmly applied the finish 1-0. It should have kick started the home team in to life, however a clumsy unnecessary challenge in the box, upended a Blunham attacker leaving the Referee no option to point to the spot 1-1. Brandon making is long awaited come back after a start of the season sabbatical, came on from the bench to bring some much needed calm to the centre of the pitch. His effect was immediate, playing simply, rotating possession giving the home side a platform to play off. Ellis stormed down right combining with Oliver and putting a great cross that just invited the final touch, which Ajiri applied 2-1. Finally the home team clicked in to gear, a sweeping move down the left, switched inside to Sam, who played a first time pass in to Oliver, just inside the box first touch rifled his shot past the ‘keeper in to the bottom corner 3-1.

HT 3-1

A mixed half time team talk, we hadn’t started the game well, but had found some rhythm an finished the half well.

Second half got underway and again the home side were on the back foot, Blunham taking advantage of being allowed too much space in midfield, they forced an early corner which was reasonably well defended by the home team. Blunham kept on pressing forward, with the home team not really getting out of first gear. They paid the penalty for another sluggish start to a half, a shot from the edge of the box was parried by Nathan to the right of the goal, the Blunham forward was quickest to react, he still had a lot to do, with a covering defender arriving, he somehow squeezed his shot in from a very tight angle 3-2.

The game was on a knife edge, at this point it could have gone either way, it was the home team who showed more will to win the game, pushing forward, Ellis and Oliver causing a real threat down the right, some clever combination play between them and Ellis poked the ball through to Sam, who chipped it past the advancing ‘keeper 4-2. It took the wind out of any Blunham recovery, another move down the right the ball switched inside to Oliver, with the goal gaping his curled shot came back off the inside of the post. It was all the home side now and they peppered the oppositions goal, but couldn’t add to their tally.

FT 4-2

Scorers: Ajiri(2), Oliver, Sam

P.O.T.M: Brandon, a welcome return to the match day squad, played simply and effectively, changed the pattern of the game when he came on in the first half.

Related Post