Tattenhoe Greens

Tattenhoe Greens 2 7 WWFC Hurricanes
14th February 2015

Tattenhoe Greens 2 – 7 WWFC Hurricanes

Scorers: Asante (2), Tao (4), Harry

H/T: 1-2

Team: Evan, Luke; Charles, Freddie, Orlando, Rocco (c), Ryan; Asante, Francis, Harry, Joe; Tao

MotM: Tao



Following the postponement of the first league match of the Spring-Summer 2015 campaign last weekend, the team travelled to Westcroft for a friendly against Tattenhoe Greens, a newly-formed team playing in only their second match. Luke started in goal, with a back 3 of Charles, Rocco and Orlando. Joe and Francis anchored the midfield with Harry and Asante out wide, and Tao up front.

The previous season had seen an early goal in most matches, and this one was no exception – within a minute of the kick-off, Francis played a ball to Asante on the right touchline. He cut in and sent a cross (or was it a shot?) into the area, which looped over the keeper’s head and into the far corner. 0-1, and the Hurricanes were living up to their name. However, despite being a new team the Greens were not phased by this setback and were soon level, when a corner wasn’t cleared and their striker slammed home from close range. Shortly after, Joe’s pass found Tao who showed his persistence when his first shot was saved but the rebound fell kindly for him. 1-2, and the game was barely 10 minutes old! Woburn looked to pull away from their opponents – a superb passage of one touch football from Joe, Asante, Harry and a shot from Tao deserved a goal on its own, but it was not one-way traffic. Luke had to hold a fierce shot, and Charles, Rocco and Orlando had to be sharp to cut out the through-balls that the Greens were using as their main tactic, and half-time came with the score still at 1-2.

The second half saw Evan in goal as Luke moved into midfield, and with Ryan and Freddie replacing Charles and Orlando, Harry was given a well-earned rest. Within two minutes of the restart, they had doubled their lead – an intricate passing move led to Tao’s shot being well saved by the Greens keeper, but Asante was on hand to lash home the rebound. 1-3, and the Hurricanes had stepped up a gear. They soon made it another as Tao’s snap shot squirmed under the keeper’s despairing dive. 1-4, and the game looked all over. However, the Greens rallied and a delightful lobbed ball over Evan saw the deficit reduced to 2-4. With 10 minutes to play, Hurricanes made the game safe after a lovely move between Luke, Asante and Tao, whose cool finish saw him notch his first hat-trick for the club. Within two minutes it was 2-6 as Tao grabbed his fourth goal cutting in from the left flank and firing into the roof of the net. The final goal was almost a carbon copy of the 6th, with it being Harry’s turn to drive forward and slam home from the left side. 2-7, the final whistle blew, and Hurricanes had blown away the cobwebs with a superb performance.

Credit to Tattenhoe Greens who showed that they would be more than a match for many teams with some skilful, tenacious play, and good luck to them in their first season. It’s now back to the League for the Hurricanes, with a trip to Newport Pagnell on February 28th.

Related Post